Set Gmail and Default Mail Handler
When you click on email links like firstname.lastname@example.org your computer may try to open outlook. What it is trying to do is send an email to that address using the default mail handler for your computer. This is typically Outlook which is why it tries to open. To change it to Gmail follow these instructions.
**Note: These instructions are for Chrome. For help setting a Mail handler in all other browser, including Chrome, reference this page here**
1. Open Gmail in Chrome and click the Protocol Handler icon in the far right of your browser's address bar.
2. When prompted to "Allow Gmail to open all email links?", select "Use Gmail," and click "Done." Then you're done! Skip steps 3-5.
3. If you were unable to see the Protocol Handler icon overlapping-diamonds , click the Chrome menu icon chrome-menu-1 in the top right corner of your browser, and choose "Settings."
4. Click the "Show Advanced Settings" link at the bottom of the screen. Then click the "Content Settings" button under the "Privacy" header.
5. In the pop-up window, scroll down to the "Handlers" section and click the "Manage Handlers" button. Then select Gmail from the mailto dropdown, click "Done," and, well, you're done!